I’ll just go straight to the point and I’m not going to sell Twitter or ask you to follow me on Twitter.
[Twitter SMS Cheatsheet: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inju/422751668/]
So, often you update your Twitter via the Internet. How about you are in the middle of nowhere – no WiFi, 3G, EDGE, GPRS but you still have SMS… and you are desperate to reach out to the world.
Twitter has this feature that enables you to send and receive (only certain countries) tweets via text messaging. (Read the FAQ here)
How to do that… how?
Well, pretty easy and straight forward.
- Login to tour Twitter account and go to Settings.
- Under Devices, add your phone number.
- Then you are required to verify your phone number. Send the captcha code to these short codes/phone numbers based on your country:
- In the US, use 40404.
- In Canada, use 21212.
- In the UK, Vodafone users can text to the new local UK Vodafone short code 86444; people on all other UK carriers should use +44 7624 801423
- In Sweden, use: +46 737 494222
- In Germany, use +49 17 6888 50505
- Anywhere else, use +44 7624 801423
Note: Twitter charge you nothing but your service provider might and it depends. I’m using DiGi network and DiGi charges me RM0.20/SMS (This is the rate for sending international SMS).
Please check Twitter’s FAQ page for more info, including how to send direct messages to someone.